Saturday, June 30, 2012

More Peril

Peril is coming together nicely.  One change will be using a multi-die test for alignment based challenges such as spell casting:

A Lawful alignment character:
roll 2d20 keeping the highest roll when casting Lawful spells
roll 1d20 when casting neutral spells
roll 2d20 keeping the lowest die when casting Chaos spells

 Balance
A neutral character rolls 1d20 regardless of a spell alignment

A Chaos alignment character
roll 2d20 keeping the highest roll when casting Chaos spells
roll 1d20 when casting neutral spells
roll 2d20 keeping the lowest die when casting Lawful spells

When using aligned weapons, or aligned artifacts the same rules apply.

I am not a fan of the whole alignment thing, but I am trying to turn (a system oddity in my eyes) into a simple and pertinent game mechanic.

More to come...

3 comments:

M. Jared Swenson said...

I like it, as apposed to saying "NOPE" when you try to cast a spell not of your alignment, you just make them suck at it.

David said...

I like how you're making alignment matter. I can take it or leave it, but I definitely don't like it when it is part of the system but serves no actual function, other than to restrict choices.

Fenway5 said...

@MJ-thanks, I appreciate the feedback and agree giving more freedom is better than creating more rules.

@David-yes as alignment was originally presented in D&D, and used in our own games, it seemed a pointless abstraction or simplistic guide to role playing your character. By adding in a mechanic I hope to make it another character concept consideration and an additional lever for The Great and Powerful Oz (referee) to use in game play.