Friday, February 5, 2010

creative kismet?

FRAK!! So as I have worked on my Collapse RPG I passed my basic rule set and character creation to a friend last week.

Him: Hey, have you read the Barbarians of Lemuria rules before?

Me: No, should I?

Him: Maybe, maybe not...because you just kind of rewrote them...HA!

Me: FRAK!!

Well I spent yesterday jumped up on Dayquil and Robutussin DM reading the Lemuria rules. I'll be damned if I didn't come up with almost the same rules. I have a number of differences but in essence its the same 9+ on 2d6, 4 stats, which influence your roll but I added skills and fleshed them out tied to careers. Frak me, this also means the "Barbarians of the Aftermath" rules book due in February must be similar in some way to my own rules set.

I am (was) writing mine up in the manner of a government issued field manual with various Blue Book reports focused on specific collapse events...but at this point I kind of feel suckered punched. So do I continue or not? Seems sort of pointless...but hell with so much OSR reprints of D&D rules out there...why not? Off to get more Dayquil to help me make my decision...

3 comments:

Aaron E. Steele said...

Barbarians of Lemuria is a good system. Why not switch focus, and add to the canon?

Fenway5 said...

True enough, I though it was so good I designed a version of it too! :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence, the work continues..

Jack Badelaire said...

Don't sweata it too hard. 2d6 + stuff vs. some number is about 30 years old. Hell, it's what my homebrew RPG uses, and I'm not planning on changing it any time soon. Good enough for Traveller, good enough for us.

As for the rest, tweak it a little and perhaps change the names of some things. Read through BoL and see what you like and what you don't like, and make the rules your own.

And above all, just because your RULES are like System XYZ, it doesn't mean your GAME is like Game XYZ.